Fellowship of the College recognises members who have made a significant contribution to the practice and profession of optometry and to the community. Fellows of the College are members who are held in high esteem within the profession. There are four separate categories under which members can apply for Fellowship:
- Personal achievement in acquiring skill
- Contribution to knowledge and learning
- Acquisition of special clinical expertise and/or
- Professional leadership/service
Members may apply (at no charge) under two or more categories and provide supporting documentation to demonstrate the excellence of their work and how their contribution has impacted on the practice of optometry and the community.
Recognition of Fellows
Fellows are entitled to use the post-nominal FACO and are listed in the ACO Annual Report and on the ACO website.
Criteria for Fellowship
Applicants for Fellowship need to:
- Be full financial members of the ACO for the last three consecutive years
- Practice in accordance with the ACO Code of Ethics and Practice Standards
- The Professional Development Department is empowered to recommend to Council admission to Fellowship for outstanding achievement without an application having been made
Application for Fellowship
Applicants need to complete an ‘Application for Fellowship of the Australian College of Optometry’ form and provide the requested documentation and names of referees. Applications are assessed against the criteria and endorsed by Council.
How to apply
The Application Form requests the following:
- Applicant’s details
- Referee information (2 referees, including 1 who is a Fellow of the ACO)
- A summary of the applicant’s professional history (maximum 2 pages)
- Information on why the applicant should be awarded a Fellowship (maximum 1 page)
Before applying, please refer to the information sheet for further information.
Continuation of Fellowship
Fellowship of the College is ongoing . Fellows must continue to be a financial member (except in the case of honorary membership) and continue to adhere to the ACO Code of Ethics and Practice Standards.