If you live in rural Victoria and would like to access the Victorian Eyecare Service (VES), the ACO partners with a number of reputable private optometry practices who will be able to assist you. The cost of your consultation is normally bulk billed under Medicare and subsidised glasses will be available under the VES.

To access the VES you will need to be a permanent resident of Victoria and hold either a Pensioner Concession Care (in your own name and dependents under 18 years) or a Health Care Card in your own name (for at least 6 months). The VES is funded by the Victorian State Government and has been providing subsidised glasses to Victorians in need for over 30 years.

How to access the VES in rural Victoria

Check the directory to find your nearest VES optometrist

Contact your local VES optometrist to make an appointment and remember to let the practice know you want to access the VES. Take your Pensioner or Health Card, along with your Medicare card, with you to the Appointment. After your appointment, the optometrist will submit your VES application for subsidised glasses.


If your permanent address falls within one of the following postcodes, you can access services though the ACO in metropolitan Melbourne.

  • 3000 – 3115
  • 3121 – 3136
  • 3121 – 3136
  • 3247 – 3430
  • 3775
  • 3800 – 3806
  • 3644

Contact us

If you would like further information about rural services please contact us: