ACO Outreach Services were created with the assistance of additional funding by the Department of Health to meet the needs of a diverse range of disadvantaged Victorians by a mobile optometry service.
The outreach program has grown rapidly over recent years and covers an extensive number of sites, facilities, locations and patients. The program has been designed to provide optometry services and low cost glasses to people who are unable to attend the mainstream clinics for various reasons.
- Supported Residential Services (SRS)
- Residential Aged Care Services (RACS)
- Homeless persons
- Older persons high rise
- Visiting disability service
- Community residential units
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Visiting Optometrist Scheme to rural Victoria.
A purpose-equipped van accompanies outreach service staff to allow off site retinal photograph, visual fields and biomicroscopy. Follow up care includes delivery of glasses by trained optical technicians.